Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tuesday: 2 hours of conference and the rest walking around St. Julians and part of Valletta

My hotel Argento has a delightful breakfast.  This is the breakfast room.
I had German yoghurt, a some breads.
Me infront of the conference center.  Conference is on the 2nd floor.

 This is across from the conference center.  There are a number of historic buildings from the 1800's.
 There is an exotic cactus holding a camera and a few plants too (a real cactus among others)

 A block from the conference center is this view of the bay.  the water is beautiful clear blue.  Too bad I didn't bring my swimsuit or these Maltesians would get a first hand view of what pasty white means.
 A cool older house.  I'm not sure if anyone lives here still.  It looks like over half of the 6-10 story row housing structures have been resurfaced or rebuild along the bay.  A lot fewer as you walk in a block or two from the bay front view.
 Lunch: donor kabab and a piece of baclava.  Both were delightful.  Baclava was really nice.
 Here is the corner shop where I bought lunch "Millenium".
 This knights watch tower was built in 1658 by the English and Maltese knights that were sent here to battle the Ottoman empire.  The held out and the Ottomans retreated even though the knights were outnumbered 10:1.  It turned out Ottoman command ordered a retreat because the empire was falling. Good timing for the knights.
 The Maltese beaches I've seen are sandstone.  Not sand. The people lie on the rocks and gingerly go to the water.  The brightside is you don't have to wipe sand out of your babies diaper.
 this part of Malta has 4 larger water inlets.  One is where I'm staying in St. Julians and the others are around Valletta.  This is the Valletta inlet bay.  A bit bigger and some larger older church buildings.
 This is what the crazy youngsters like to do in Malta.  This sign is on the bay walk way.
 I saw a few cruise ships in the not far distance.  I'd guess this is a popular cruise stop.

2 comments:

Sally Holzer said...

Wow hon. Thank you for all the great pictures. I'll pass on the earings. But thanks.they are a bit bigger than I usually wear. I can't wait to hear you tell me about pictures in person soon. It looks like you are getting to see some amazing things!

karren said...

Thanks again, Kyle.