Sunday, October 11, 2015

Malta Trip via Germany: Sunday in Germany

It was a nice flight from Salt Lake to Amsterdam.  It was really fun to hear Dutch and German spoken all around me.  This a short 1.5 hour flight to Munich.  I visited my two favorite non-US countries in the same day!
I had to figure out how to get to my hotel since the free (?) airport shuttle wasn't running today because of construction.  I asked a nice guy working behind one of the air carrier counters how to find my hotel and he was very helpful in pointing me to finding my bus platform and bus number.  I then discovered Googlemaps.com.  It is AWESOME.  You just type where you want to go and it shows you the next 3-5 trains or buses that are departing to get there based on your current GPS coordinates.  Only it doesn't tell you the fare price, I had to figure out how to pay train and bus fares again.  It turns out they take euros on the bus luckily.

After checking into my hotel and having some energy I went on a walk to the Flughafen Besucherspark (airport visitor's park).  It is a fun kids park perfect for a weekend stroll and play.  Lots of kids toys:
can't get in the helicopter, but it is life size

pully rope swing ride, pretty cool
 a few old airplanes to walk through
 a platform up on top of a hill over looking the airport to watch planes take off and land.  Great view, pretty cool, this was a popular spot. Probably 3 times as many people on the platform as you see here.

On the walk I saw some big fire trucks and thought of my boys.

 I saw some interesting trees with big stilts on them.  I think these trees have outgrown the training wheels, but I'm not sure what the stilts are for.
 This is random walking path a couple miles away from the airport, but Holy Cow they made this asphalt path with incredibly straight edges.  In the US this would be messy edge that turns into dirt or grass gradually.  Here they use knife edge precision to separate the walking path from grass/weeds.  Pretty cool.
 Kind of funny, the random Statue of Liberty totem pole honoring the great country of the USA and the gun toting crazies that live there.
 Here is a random piece of art that I found noteworthy.  I climbed up it a bit, this doesn't give justice to how big it really is.  The "I" beam cross section is at least 7.5 feet. I didn't make it all the way up to the end because it is 15-20 feet off the ground.

 Another happy example of bird stencil window stickons to help the birds not crash into the window.



No comments: